Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wednesday, March 19th



The Perfect Date OR My Worst Day Ever!


With your group, put your ideas together from your brainstorm.  Describe, step by step, how to prepare the perfect date (or if you did "how to prepare for the perfect date, that's fine, too) or the step by step events of your worst day ever.  Work on the computer to come up with a working paragraph in Microsoft Word. Remember, you must be clear, detailed, and organized (and appropriate!!). When finished, copy and paste your final paragraph into a comment box of this post. Be sure to list BOTH or ALL of your names so that you each get credit for this blog post. Remember, your ideas will be posted for all to read, so be sure to be concise and, again, APPROPRIATE!
You have 10 minutes to do this.
By the way, what type of process analysis your paragragh?  Directive or Informative?

Next, please read pages 208-211 in the Process Analysis: Explainin Step by Step (Chapter 4) pdf document.  You may find this either on the Assignment Drive under Miller WFC Process or it is also downloaded to millertimeenglish.weebly.com

34 comments:

  1. Pat Benson, Lauren Fuchs, and Will Fitzpatrick

    It is not that hard to have a terrible day, in fact it is quite easy.
    To begin it all off your alarm clock doesn't go off. You wake up to your mother screaming at you and calling you names not suitable for a school environment.
    After that she makes you get up and go to school late where the attendance people laugh in your face and give you detention for having an unexcused lateness.
    Once that is over you head off to class where you realize that you have an exam that period that you didn't study for. Your teacher says oversleeping is no excuse and makes you take the test even though you had less time than the rest of the class
    Next period is gym and you finally have something to look forward to, until you realize it is fitness Friday and you have no gym clothes. Your gym teacher marks you down for a double zero because it just so happened to be fitness friday
    After that you have a paper due in your AP Eco class that you didn't do and had believed it was due in a week.
    Lunch finally comes and you just then only understand how hungry you are. There was no way this could be a bad period. You reach into your pocket only to find that you left your wallet at home.
    The school day finally ends. You are hungry, angry, and defeated. Now you have lacrosse practice and it is conditioning today.
    After lacrosse practice you can finally go home where you can relax and have a good time. You walk through the front door of your house only to find out that your parents are getting a divorce and they blame it all on you.
    Sounds like a rough day doesn't it? Well this is how easy it is to have a terrible day and you can have one too if you just follow these directions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great voice! This is definitely a grueling day! Hillarious. The 'divorce" idea certainly adds the icing onto the cake!
      Remember paragraph structure and comma usage. :)
      Nice job

      Delete
  2. To construct the most perfect date, there are a few steps into completing it. The first step is to prepare to go out by making reservations for a restaurant that you know she would love. Next, you must pick out flowers that are perfect for her and will make her feel special. When you arrive to pick her up, don’t wait in the car, you have to go up to the door and bring her to your car. When you arrive at the car, you need to open the door for her and close it. Always keep a conversation going and never let it get quiet or awkward. Offer your food at dinner and pay for the whole meal. After dinner, go to the movies and let her choose the movie, even if it’s a romance. During the movie, make the move of holding her hand during it if she doesn’t hold your hand first. Finally, as you drive her back home, walk her up to her doorstep, and give her a kiss, and say goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though going on a first date can be nerve-wracking, there’s no need to stress yourself out while getting ready for it. Before you even start getting dressed, you should have something to eat. Even if you’re going out to dinner for the date, you should eat something so that your stomach doesn't start rumbling in the car or on the way there. Next, after eating, you should take a shower. This way, you’ll be energized for the date, and a hot shower will help you relax. After showering, you should turn on some music that makes you happy and relaxed. You should get dressed before doing your hair and makeup, especially if you’re going to wear something that gets pulled over your head. Otherwise, you could ruin your hair and makeup with your clothes when you get dressed. You should pick an outfit that you feel confident in, but are also comfortable in. Clothes that are too tight, itchy, or a hassle to keep in place can distract you from having a good time on the date. Once you’re dressed, you should do your hair next. By doing your hair before your makeup, it ensures that you won’t smear or smudge your makeup while styling your hair. You shouldn't put your makeup on too heavily, but you shouldn't wear less than you usually do either. If the date is during the day, you should use lighter shades of makeup. If it’s at night, try darker shades. Next, you should do your hair. no matter what style you choose to put your hair in, you should make sure it’s out of your face. If you’re going out to eat, make sure it’s in a style that won’t be a hassle to keep out of your food. Next, pick jewelry that compliments what you are wearing, but doesn't take attention away from your face. Be careful not to be over or under dressed for wherever the date will take place. The jewelry can make or break your outfit- any outfit can be dressed up or down with jewelry, so make sure you pick some that is appropriate for the setting. Lastly, spray some hairspray over your head to keep your hair in place, and spray on some perfume to cover the smell of the hairspray. Before you leave, take a good look at yourself in the mirror. Smile at yourself, and breathe slowly to release all the nervous tension. Don’t worry too much about looking absolutely perfect- remember, the attitude you bring to the date and your personality say much more than anything you wear can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! You didn't miss a beat! Great voice and context.

      Delete
  4. The Perfect Date - A How to for men

    Preparing for the perfect date is easy.

    First, plan on where you will be taking your date. If you want to get to know your date better, pick a place that is fun, yet quiet. Be prepared with a list of conversation topics, beforehand. Next, you should get ready for the date, you must look and smell nice. Shower and put on deodorant. Remember to look nice by being well dressed. When you finally meet your date, be sure to smile. You must also be relaxed, confident and happy while you are on the date. Be sure to be a gentleman, by making her laugh, having a great conversation and paying for the bill. Finally, Remember to kiss her, (on the cheek) and say your farewells, because the night has ended and you have successfully completed your date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a gentleman! Good job. Consider adding more context. :)

      Delete
  5. One snowy day, I woke up to strange noise. I looked to my left and witnessed my guinea pig choking on a carrot. I tried to help but it only made it worse. I stared into my guinea pig's eyes as it took its last breath. Then I fell down my stairs and stumbled into my shower. When I got out of the shower, I realized I forgot to bring a towel and my mom walked in on accident. It was an awkward moment for the both of us. As I go to get some breakfast, my dog is licking a empty can and cuts her tongue. There was blood everywhere and it was a hassle to clean up. This made me late for school. I missed my bus and I had to start walking. I had my trenchcoat on because it was cold and when I was entering the building, I was immediately scoped out by security and given ISD for wearing a trenchcoat to school. I spent the day in ISD writing out the endless numbers of Pi. When the bell finally rang and I was departing the school premisice, I began my walk home and suddenly I was clipped by a snowplow. I landed on someone's lawn and got sued for trespassing a private property. I came home later that night only to learn that my mom had been dating another man for the past three months and that we were moving in with him the next week. As I got into my bed, I laughed because I knew my life couldn't get any worse at this moment.

    Michele Scannell, Anthony Leto, Billy McEnroe, CJ Fredricks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats how easy it is to have a bad day

      Delete
    2. Hillariously creative. Definitely a horrible and bizarro day.
      Tip: Be careful with consistent verb tense. :)
      Good job.

      Delete
  6. Today was the absolute worst day ever. To begin with, my alarm clock didn’t go off like it normally does at 6:20. I woke up at 6:50, and when I realized what time it was, I jumped out of bed and fell onto the floor. I’m pretty sure I have a bruise the size of a grapefruit on my back. Once I was able to get up off of the floor, I limped to the shower. All of the hot water was used, so I had to take a freezing cold shower. After my shower, I got dressed and left the house, only to realize that I had a hole in my shirt. I was feeling extremely tired, so I thought it would be a good idea to get coffee. While drinking it, I hit a road bump, and spilled quite a bit of burning hot coffee onto myself. Once I finally got to school, I realized that I had a test in every subject except one, and I forgot about every single one. I definitely failed my first period test, and while walking to second period I fell up the stairs and everyone surrounding me laughed. During lunch, someone hit into me and I dropped my lunch all over the floor and my wallet was in the car so I didn’t eat anything even though I haven’t eaten anything all day. While driving through the parking lot to leave the school, a car almost backed into me. All of the radio stations were static, and there was nothing to listen to. I stopped at a supermarket to buy some food for dinner, and they didn’t have my favorite Italian wedding style soup, so I had to get tomato soup and bread and cheese to make grilled cheeses. The line was 15 minutes long and when I finally got to the counter, I realized that all of the money in my wallet had been stolen, and I had to leave the store. I was angry and embarrassed and upset. When I got home, I saw that my dog had chewed up all of my notes that I needed for the class that I didn’t have a test in yet. I lay down to take a nap, and ended up sleeping through my favorite tv show. I was so annoyed, that I just decided to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great voice! Good job with elements of description (adjectives, metaphor, verbs, etc.) This is a day I would want to forget. :)

      Good job

      Delete
  7. The perfect date consists of many different things. It is very easy to make the most out of the first date. First off, you need to make sure that your hair and makeup looks perfect. The weather outside should be warm, not to humid or hot. You need to pick out an outfit that stands out, nothing to revealing. You should spray perfume right before he gets there, to make sure you smell fresh.
    Second, your date needs to pick you up from your house and come to the door. While walking you to the car he should open the passenger side for you to get in. The conversation is the car should be ongoing, not awkward.
    Third, you arrive at a fancy restaurant. While walking to the door, he grabs your hand. Once you arrive at the restaurant door, he opens it for you. Your date put in reservations to make sure you didn’t have to wait. You sit down and there is a candle and flower on the table. You look through the menu and decide what you want. The waitress comes over and he orders for both of you. The conversation flows nicely and you are laughing with each other. You are getting to know one another very well. He pays for the bill and leaves a tip.
    Fourth, he decides he wants to take you to another place, but doesn’t tell you where. You arrive at the beach at sunset. You both take off your shoes and walk down the shore. Right as the sun is about to set he kisses you. You feel fireworks and still have a couple butterflies in your stomach. You then lay down and look up at the stars.
    Fifth, he wants to make sure you are home on time for curfew. He drives you home and once you arrive, he gets out of his car and gets the door for you. He walks you to the porch and tells you how great of a time he had. He gives you a kiss again and then you go into your house happily. THE END.
    From. Morgan Schilling, Taylor Hussey, Deirdre Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a normal monday, or so I thought. No, this monday had been the worst day of my life to date. I guess it all started with my mom screaming that I’m a lazy, careless teenager who doesn’t do what he’s supposed to. Not to help her argument, but I woke up twenty minutes late with a scratchy feeling developing in my throat. Then, in the panic of getting ready I stubbed my pinky toe on my dresser, and it hurt. I mean really hurt. So I finally make it to the bathroom to find my brother taking his dear sweet time in the shower. Surprised? Not at all. So just before I got into the bathroom, I hear my mom scream about the broken water heater. Great, cold shower. Then, as if I wasn’t already cold enough, I stepped out of the shower only to no towels in sight. Shivering, I searched for a good five minutes, and wound up settling for a small, rough beach towel. Going great, right? Woah, woah, not so fast. Then, already a half hour behind schedule, I hustled out to my car to find a thin layer of frost covering the windshield, another five minutes of anxiously tapping my foot while impatiently waiting to rush to school. Of course, on my way, I remembered the paper I was supposed to write last night-due today. Awesome. “Maybe I can do it during school today,” I thought, “if I ever get there.” I somehow managed to hit every red light possible along the drive, making me even more late for my first period class. To top it all off, I got cut off at an intersection by someone who apparently forgot how to drive, was forced to stop short, and spilled my scalding hot coffee all over my lap. I mean, I surely wasn’t shivering anymore. And this was all just the morning! I still have the rest of the school day to go through, which, I’m sure will end in a truck-load of homework. Great, just fabulous.

    By: Kelly Rini and Phil Royce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great voice! Nice job with elements of description (SDT, dialogue, action verbs, etc.) Uggh. The inch thick frost on the window is always worst! Nice job!

      Delete
  9. Before you begin, accept the fact that the process will be miserable. Once you have embraced the misery, than you are ready to start your voyage! First step is to start driving towards the mall. It doesn't matter what parking lot you enter first, either way you will have a slim chance of finding a spot. Drive around aimlessly for about 15 minutes, or until you come to the realization that the only spots you have a chance of getting are 100 yards away. As you are weaving in and out of the rows of cars, be aware of the old people; 90% of them should not be driving but love to anyway. When you come into contact with them you might get a slight bit of road rage just by looking at them, do your best to not meet with them at an intersection, (which will be tough to see coming) and do NOT get stuck behind them. By now you should have realized that you would have been in the mall by now if you had just settled for a far spot, and you're not gonna want to take any more time than you already have to. If you are feeling brave you can scout of the people leaving the mall and follow them to their car. If you are lucky they will have a close spot that no one else is around to take. Otherwise, go all the way into the back of the parking lot, put the car in park and immediately cup your hands together. Lastly, put your face in your hands and start crying because you have a mile long walk ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete

  10. When someone says “they’ve had the worst day ever” you might think they’re over exaggerating, but i assure you, this was my worst day ever. I wake up every morning with my morning ritual, I slump out of bed and get dressed, by the time I looked in the mirror I’ve frightened myself with the pure horror and chaos known as my hair. I realized that it couldn't be helped so i put enough gel in my hair for an entire room of punk rockers could use. When I finish getting ready I run through the mental checklist of everything i need to bring to school today and rush out of my house to get to school. As I’m driving I hit every… single… LIGHT! And then I had to stop and wait until the train passed, and if you didn’t know how long that takes its a solid 5 minutes. As I finally get to school I walk into my first period class, and to my amusement my teach grabs the classes attention by saying, “ Excuse me everyone, I know its a monday and all but we have a pop quiz! yay!” I swear to you she had way too much energy first period on a monday. The first part of my day was easy and simple but i had my break, finally I had lunch. Whoever created lunch breaks is my hero, but as i walk into the lunch room it hit me… I forgot my lunch at home, then i thought to myself, “ no biggy, I’ll just buy today”.... I face palmed myself as I reached into my empty pocket. I LOST MY WALLET! I never loose anything where could it be? As I take a deep breath and count to ten I calm myself, trying to collect my thoughts and remember that I left it on my counter in my house. As I proceed through the day hungry and agitated I go to physics. That day we were getting back the tests we took the other day and I would out that I received a 58, not a 58 out of 60 or 80 but out of a hundred, Is wast the fact that I failed the test that made me upset it was that this 58 was the lowest test score I have ever received. As I get to badminton, my saving grace, I try to blow off some steam by shredding through the courts and winning every game I played, But as I start to a doubles game my partner(who shall remain nameless) whacked me in the face with his racket with full power! after I came to I realized that I popped a blood vessel in my eye. This was my worst day ever and I pray that it remains this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if anyone can trump this as a horrible day! Nice job with descriptive techniques!

      Delete
  11. Matthew Glaser, Andrew Blaszczyk
    Preparation and planning is crucial to having a successful and amazing date. The
    most important part of choosing a date location is knowing what your partner likes and does not like. For example, if your partner does not enjoy mini-golf, you should probably not choose a night at the mini-golf course. However, if you know they like scary movies, invite them to see a new horror genre movie that was just recently released. After choosing out a location, you need to prepare for your date. Shower about an hour before you leave to insure that you do not smell bad after a long day of school or work. Next, brush your teeth to avoid any potential bad breath during your date. Bring along breath mints or mint-flavored gum if you want extra help during the date. Next, choose clothing appropriate for your date. Be conscious of where you are going in order to avoid overdressing or underdressing. A tuxedo is not proper attire for a casual trip to the theater, and a tank top with shorts and sandals will not be appreciated at a fancy Italian restaurant or steakhouse. Finally, make sure you have your transportation figured out both to and from the date. If you need to drive your partner to the date, be sure to leave a few minutes early and know the directions to their house. After you have everything figured out, relax and have fun at your now perfect date.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Worst Day Ever- Kevin Sheridan, Nick Perillo, Joe Saggasse
    I woke up this morning from a rough night’s sleep and turn on the shower to find out there is no more hot water. I rushed through my shower and went downstairs to cook some eggs. I was immersed in the morning Sports Center when I smelled something burning. I sprinted into my kitchen and saw a fire burning on my stove. I immediately put the fire out with the fire extinguisher and decided to skip breakfast. When I went get in my car for school, it didn’t start. After about thirty minutes my dad helped me jump start the car and I headed off to school. As I pulled into the parking lot, already late for school, an emergency light went on in my car. I stepped out of the car once I was in my parking spot and saw that I had a flat tire. I figured I’d change it later after school because I was already late. When I walked into my first class thirty-five minutes late my teacher gave me detention. I walked into detention and got seated next to Tommy Marino. Everyone knows he’s the smelliest kid in school, so this only made matters worse. After detention, I went to lunch but had no money to buy anything. After school I walked out to the parking lot and remembered I had to change my tire. I called triple A and waited for the truck to come. When I was waiting for two hours it began to torrential downpour. Finally when I get, my parents sat me down and tell me they are getting a divorce. I went upstairs to feed my hamster to find him not responsive. I decided to cut my losses and go to bed only to find that my hamster left his last excrements in my bed before he died.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yesterday was absolutely the worst day ever. I began my day by falling out of bed and hitting my head hard on the floor. When I got up my head was pounding, and I looked at my alarm clock to see that I woke up thirty minutes late. I knew that I would have to hurry up if I wanted to get to work on time. While I was sprinting down the stairs, I fell and rolled down most of the steps. This fall hurt twice as much as when I got out of bed. I then began to make breakfast I realized I had nothing to eat in my house. I decided that I would wait to eat until lunch, so I went upstairs to get dressed. After I was dressed I got left my house, got in my car, and started to drive to work. When I was half way and stopped at a red light, a man pulled me out of the car and drove away. I had to walk the rest of the way to work and I ended up arriving late. After I arrived to work I made myself a cup of coffee and immediately spilled to all over and burned myself. While I was cleaning my spill, my boss called me into his office and fired me for arriving to work late. I then called for a cab to take me home, but after waiting for hours it never showed up. I had to walk home and was robbed by the same guy who stole my car. When I got home I went upstairs, climbed into bed, and hoped I would never have another day like this again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 24 hours is a long span of time, and a lot can go wrong in a day. In the first three hours of the day, one must be wide awake and not able to sleep. You toss and you turn until the sun starts to rise. Like a zombie, you limp into the shower and bathe. You scream at the sight of your face in the nearby mirror. A colossal pimple appears in the middle of your forehead. You manage to get ready in only five minutes, but you realize that daylight savings has occurred, but you had no idea and wind up being an hour late. By the time you arrive at work/school, you are ready to go to bed. As you sit down at your desk, you get called over by your boss and get yelled at for a mistake made the previous day. If in school, your teacher berates you for not completing your homework and being unprepared. Finally you get a reprieve once lunch time arrives, and looking forward to your delicious sandwich you begin to unwrap it when it slips from your grasp and falls to the grimy floor in slow motion. You forgot your wallet at home and are now forced to suffer through the day hungry and tired. At the end of work/school, five minutes before leaving to go home, you receive a call from your panicked neighbor who explains that a small fire broke out in your home due to the toaster you left on. Feeling the panic rise up in your chest, you sprint to your car and speed home. On the way home, the car behind rear ends you and smashes in the entire bumper. You feel as though you have whip lash and inspect the damage to your car. It must be towed, and you are driven to the emergency room, where you wait for three hours to be examined by a doctor. They give you an uncomfortable neck brace, give you two Advil, and send you home. They suggest plenty of rest, and so you must stay home in bed for the next week without pay. This has been the worst day of your life.

    Mike Carlin Aislinn King, Brielle Arneo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job! Nice voice, you hooked the reader and added lots of humor. Your descriptive details and syntax make this a pleasure to read!

      Delete
  15. I will never forget when I had the worst day ever. I woke up that morning by falling out of bed and then proceeding to fall down the stairs and get a bloody nose. After I finally stopped the bleeding I started to make my breakfast which was a terrible idea because my eggs burned and my kitchen went on fire. After 20 minutes of my kitchen being in flames the fire department came and put out the fire. Once they left I immediately went into my bathroom to clean myself up. Since I was in such a rush to get to work I cut my face shaving. After my shaving mishap, I walked outside to find out that my car had been keyed. I got in my keyed car and sped to work because I was already late. As I got out of my car I realized that it was on fire, I ran away from the burning car but it was too late, the car exploded and a piece of broken glass hit me in the left eye and I could not see. With vision in only one eye I stumbled into work, my boss was there waiting for me. I got fired for being too late and my boss wouldn’t even let me explain myself. Since I had no car I had no choice but to walk home. On my long walk home I was being yelled and cursed at by passengers of passing cars. About 20 minutes into my walk someone threw a full plate of nachos at me and it hit me right in the face. A few minutes later, a man stopped me and held me at gunpoint, he told me that he needed my wallet and my clothes and I had no choice but to give him what he wanted. As I was trying to fathom what I had gone through all day, I tripped and fell in poison ivy. I am highly allergic to poison ivy and now it was all over my body. All I wanted at this point was to get home, so I started to run. As I neared my house I was struck by a car and the bone was sticking out of my leg. No one was coming to help because I was naked, so I attempted to crawl the rest of the way. When I opened the front door I heard something from upstairs. I made my way up the stairs the best I could only to find my wife in bed with not one, but two of the firemen that helped put out the fire in my kitchen this morning. I couldn’t believe my eyes and didn’t have the energy to confront her so I crawled back outside and fell asleep on the front lawn. To cap off my day, I was about to fall asleep and then it began to rain. Lightning was coming down very hard and never the less, I was struck.


    Tommy Marino and Kevin Schroeder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Gulyansky says you watch too many daytime soap operas! :)

      Very funny and interesting!

      Delete
  16. Worst day ever – Joe Pisk
    It is relatively easy to have bad days but it’s something else when you have the worse day of your life and you can do nothing about it to make the day any better. It was on a cold December Sunday when I was in 7th grade. I woke up at 6 am and got ready for my outdoor soccer game expected to be played at 10 degrees. I brushed my teeth, fixed my hair and then got my cloths and cleats on and I was out the door. When we arrived at the field it was rainy and freezing but I proceeded to warm up with my team. We did Sprints into passing then shooting as the weather did not get any better. We all got into our pre-game strides until I took a shot that induced unfathomable amounts of pain in my leg. A quick evaluation proved to be that I had torn my hip flexor. Regardless of what I learned I continued to play. The game started and we were getting crushed; being the final game of the state cup it was very important that we won. Towards the end of the game I aggravated my hip flexor which in return would prevent me from playing soccer for a year. After the game was over I was yelled at by my grandparents who were extreme soccer fans and at the time I had no idea how to safely take in criticism and I was extremely angry. When I got home my parents told me the news that we had to give our dog back. We had this dog for months and I was already pretty attached and the news of something being taken away that you are attached to so much was hard to swallow. As if the day could not get any worse I fell down my basement stairs and hit the concrete floor at a un-normally fast speed and I made my already messed up leg even worse and was rushed to the hospital where for no reason the doctor took my blood even though there was nothing wrong with my blood and to top it off the nurse took what seemed like hours to find my vain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That is NOT a good day! Good voice in your paragraph. Nicely done.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.